I watched the season finale of Smash last week, a full month after it aired. Never before has a show I’ve watched grown so terrible in such a small window of time. The first episode had me pumping my fist in the air in deranged former theater kid excitement; the fifteenth had me periodically shouting “THIS IS AWFUL!” out loud to the screen. There are many reasons why this promising show turned out to be a complete abomination, but probably the most glaring is the fact that somebody in charge thought that we, the viewers, would consider it reasonable that any Broadway director would prefer the soulless Katharine McPhee to the amazing Megan Hilty in the role of Marilyn Monroe.
So true. They can make Ivy as bitchy as they like, she still kills it in the role while Karen is just floating around all wide-eyed and annoying. I don’t dislike Katharine McPhee but I feel she’s been given very little to work with.
Speaking being given nothing to work with, my biggest issue is actually Julia. I do not understand why and how we’re supposed to empathise with her in any way? I feel bad for Debra Messing that she took the role on the first script not knowing that her character was going to evolve into a bratty, selfish child.
- girlonthefireescape likes this
- sdotmarymartha likes this
- dianeshipley reblogged this from gemmacartwright and added:
- gemmacartwright reblogged this from dianeshipley and added:
- citizenkerry likes this
- slightly likes this
- iknowsomethings likes this
- thecoastisclear likes this
- cupofchi likes this
- thedevilsharlot likes this
- bethanyleach likes this
- dancingdowntheyellowbrickroad likes this
- junk-pile likes this
- nicolemarietherese likes this
- fightwithknives likes this
- shaeshae15 reblogged this from katiecoyle and added:
- murmurandshout likes this
- nightgownsandcigarettes likes this
- strictlyalright likes this
- whineandbeer likes this
- michelle-said said: “Marilyn had tiny hairs all over her body” - I’m sorry? What? I don’t watch this show. What’s the context!?
- hughbot likes this
- natface likes this
- katiecoyle posted this